Velocity’s Manhattan office is hiring a Mechanical Engineering Manager to work on a wide variety of projects in the Commercial Buildings and Education sectors.
- Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Guide, coordinate, and oversee the engineering production activities for the mechanical engineering department
- Make sound decisions and recommendations based good engineering practice
- Initiates and maintains contact with senior-level management within the company and is skilled in dispute resolution and negotiation of critical issues. At this level, the individual will have demonstrated understanding of project delivery requirements, creativity, foresight, working with a multi-disciplinary team to meet project goals and deliver high quality technical excellence.
- Demonstrate experienced judgment in anticipating and solving both routine and unusual operational challenges, identifying operational objectives and requirements, coordinating programs and projects, and developing standards and guides for diverse engineering activities.
- Perform a variety of management and leadership responsibilities associated with the Mechanical Engineering Department
- Candidate will be fully responsible for interpreting, coordinating, and implementing technical assignments
- Capable of communicating effectively with other departments within the organization and with clients.
- Capable of working independently on technical matters pertaining to the field
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Supervision received is largely administrative in nature with assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits
- Oversee a team of engineers, coordinate the department’s efforts/personnel.
- Perform as a Senior Engineer leading the overall design for projects on an as needed basis.
- Assist in business development activities
- Manage projects complex projects that are primarily in the mechanical discipline
- Aid in the preparation of proposals in concert with other manager and the office’s senior leadership.
- Responsible for overseeing and preparing technical reports for both internal and external purposes based on findings
- Work collaboratively with other managers and employees to achieve the firm’s goals
- Coordinate the department to ensure all deliverables mee the overall project team requirements for project scope, schedule, and budget.
- Stay current on the latest codes and technologies associated with the mechanical discipline
- Oversee the department to ensure compliance with standards, established design practices, applicable codes, and achieving technical excellency.
- Skilled in coordinating a team working within a BIM design environment
- Review the department’s work product to ensure a high level of quality and identify if/when training is required
- Aid in growing novice engineers both professionally and technically.
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field plus ten (10) years of related experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education
Professional Engineer (PE) registration in New York
15+ years of mechanical engineering experience within a consulting or design-build firm
Experience managing a Mechanical Engineering Department is strongly preferred
Experience with the New York School Construction Authority
Excellent communication skills
Experience with Revit and AutoCAD based design projects
Creative thinker with effective teamwork skills
Competent in all conventional aspects of mechanical engineering and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation and modification of standard mechanical engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria
Presentation experience with clients